Friday 20 November 2015

THE 'SITH' AT TEN: CORRUPTED CAPTAIN!


Wayne Pygram poses in his special make-up visage as the ambitious Captain Tarkin, for a memorable walk-on appearance as the iconic character at the very end of EPISODE III. This further trilogies-binding idea was one incorporated quite late during the production process.

EPISODE III's top make-up creator Dave Elsey recalled to STARLOG magazine in 2006:


“This was a big movie and I wanted it to be as good as possible (with regards to the movies make up and aliens). I knew there was some disappointment with the other prequels, and I didn’t want that to be the case with this one-certainly not in my department.”

“When I read the script, I realized that this was the movie everyone had been waiting for. It was going to shock and surprise a few people, so I wanted everything to be beautiful.”

“There were things going on behind the scenes that Wayne (Pygram, playing the cameo of Grand Moff Tarkin) didn’t know about, including me having a crisis because I suddenly realized that I was re-creating in make-up, to some extent, a very good friend of Christopher Lee. I started to panic about what Christopher would think of it and what would happen if they met in a corridor. The whole thing began to freak me out, and it became this big thing that spiraled off in directions that I had never, ever contemplated when I first suggested it. But I’m happy with what ended up in the movie.

“We were shooting the London portion of SITH, and I was in the make up room with Ian McDiarmid. To pass the time we would listen to LAUREL AND HARDY or put on a dvd. This one morning, Ian and I were watching SHERLOCK HOLMES with Peter Cushing. So there I was making up the Emperor-and I hear somebody come in behind us. I turned around, and it was Christopher Lee. Here were Peter Cushing, Ian McDiarmid, and Christopher Lee, and I was standing there thinking, “Is there anybody with a camera? I was geeking out!”



No comments: